Eruption at Alaska volcano disrupts transportation article
Read the article carefully. On a separate piece of paper, answer the questions in complete sentences. Do not use the word it.
1. Using the Internet to find a map of Alaska and its cities, locate and observe the location of Anchorage. State the distance (with units) of Pavlof Volcano and its compass direction from Anchorage. Name the tectonic plate that Pavlof Volcano is located, use ESRT.
2. On Sunday, March 27th 2016 at approximately 4 pm, Pavlof Volcano erupted and sent out an ash cloud with an altitude of 20,000 ft. 15 hours later, the ash cloud had risen to an altitude of 37,000 ft. Use the equation 1 mile = 5380 ft. How many miles above the surface was the 37,000 ft ash cloud? Using your ESRT, name the layer of the atmosphere that contained the taller reaches of the ash cloud.
3. Using the ESRT, state the coordinate for Pavlof volcano. Using the ESRT, name the prevailing/planetary wind that would be blowing the ash cloud to interior parts of Alaska.
4. Using the ESRT, name the type of plate boundary nearest to Pavlof volcano. According to the article, how were the people of Alaska affected by this ash cloud?
5. Using a previous homework or the Internet, name 2 gases emitted by volcanoes. Why would extensive, long term ash clouds result in cooler temperatures for affected cities?