The name game with hurricanes article
Read the article first - slowly, carefully and completely. Answer the questions below 1) on a separate piece of paper and 2) as P.O.Q. - Part of Question. Example of P.O.Q. - What color is the grass? (Your answer P.O.Q. style) The color of the grass is ....
1. Why aren't tornadoes named?
2. Why is it important to identify hurricanes by names?
3. How were hurricanes identified in the U.S. prior to 1950?
4. How were storms named in the early 1950's?
5. In what year did the weather service officially switch to women's names? and men's names?
6. How does the weather service make naming easy?
7. What organization is in charge of creating & maintaining the rotating lists?
8. How are the storms named if in one year they run out of names?
Use the website www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml to answer questions 9 & 10
9. List the names of future tropical cyclones (tropical storms & hurricanes) in the East North Pacific Ocean for current year.
10. List the names of future tropical cyclones (tropical storms & hurricanes) in the Atlantic Ocean for current year.