Long Island's Pesticide Problem article
Read the article first - slowly, carefully and completely. Answer the questions below 1) on a separate piece of paper and 2) as P.O.Q. - Part of Question. Example of P.O.Q. - What color is the grass? (Your answer P.O.Q. style) The color of the grass is ....
1. In 1979, potato farmers used Aldicarb, an insecticide, to kill beetles & round worms. Where has it been found recently?
2. Aldicarb is toxic in large doses & it wasn't supposed to leach into groundwater. Define the words: toxic and leach.
3. The tap water inn our homes comes from the ground (aquifer). List 3 specific ways you use tapwater in your home.
4. How long has Aldicarb been banned for?
5. Describe what spurred new efforts to reduce the volume of pesticides applied to L.I.'s lawns, nurseries & farms.
6. List 2 things the advocacy groups are pushing for.
7. Is the state Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) involved in this issue? If yes, completely explain.
8. Who is the DEC working with regarding this plan?
9. How does John Iurka, Professional Certified Applicators of L.I., feel?
10. Finish the statement
But less is known about.......