Stay on guard - rip currents article
Read the article first - slowly, carefully and completely. Answer the questions below 1) on a separate piece of paper and 2) as P.O.Q. - Part of Question. Example of P.O.Q. - What color is the grass? (Your answer P.O.Q. style) The color of the grass is ....
1. Where is the safest place if you are going to the beach?
2. (Fill in the blank) More storms bring more _______ ____________, one of the biggest hazards for ocean swimmers.
DISSECTION OF RIP CURRENTS
3. Why can incoming waves easily move over sandbars?
4. Why does returning water have trouble passing over sandbars?
5. What does returning water do to the sandbar causing a sudden rush of water?
6. If you get caught in a rip current, stay calm & ...............? (Be complete)
True or False and Give the Reason for Your Answer Below
7. Kara doesn't know how to swim but she goes into the ocean with her friends.
8. Even though city of Long Beach charges approximately $12 per person to access the beach from 9 am to 6 pm from Memorial Day to Labor Day, Manu values his life and pays the fee to go swimming in the ocean in front of a lifeguard with his family.
9. Mr. Johnson either holds his little children's hands or stands with them in the ankle deep ocean.
10. Chris doesn't want to wait for his friends to arrive at Jones Beach & he decides to go swimming in the Atlantic Ocean alone.